120 Years – the history of IWK Verpackungstechnik GmbH is like taking a trip through Germany’s industrial history.
The actual date of foundation is 1893 when Willem Karel van Dedem, a Dutch colonial secretary in The Hague, ordered two sets of machines and equipment for filling and sealing tubes for an opium factory in what was then Batavia, Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia). The tubes were to be filled with opium paste for use as a pain relieving salve for wounds. The quality of the delivered machinery won over the customer, which led to various additional orders. We focused on exports from day one.
1893 > Founded
1949 > Incorporation as Industrie-Werke Karlsruhe AG (IWK)
1955 > Development of the first fully automatic packaging line for tubes
1968 > New development of the continuous cartoning machine CARTOPAC
1970 > Merged with Kuka GmbH into IWKA AG
1979 > Move to today’s location in Stutensee
1979 > Founding of IWK Verpackungstechnik GmbH
1999 > Founding of a subsidiary in Thailand
2007 > Sold to the OYSTAR Group
2013 > Sold to ATS Automation, an international company headquartered in Canada